Mark Griffin is an imaginative and conscientious burgeoning designer who is dedicated to excellence. As the esteemed winner of FIDM’s Designer of Tomorrow National Scholarship Competition, Mark returned to college to explore his passion for design. As an adult student who returned to college, Mark brings a broad and diverse career history which sets him apart from other recent graduates.
Mark has had an exceptional academic experience, and he has worked extraordinarily hard for it. Faced with the challenge of full time work, a wife, kids, and a 3 hour round trip commute for school… Mark had seriously challenged his time management skills. His commitment to the program was undeniable as can be seen by his exceptional GPA, graduating Magna Cum Laude.
Mark has been recognized by a list of accolades that has solidified his reputation for being exceptionally imaginative and highly skilled as a designer.
Some of Mark’s accomplishments are as follows:
• Thomas Moser Student Furniture Design Challenge 2011, Winner “Industry Choice” Los Angeles, CA 2011
• Elle Décor and La Cienega Legions of Hollywood, Student Set Design Competition, 1st Place Winner 2010 (Elle Décor Issue Dec. 2010)
• HomeAid’s Project Playhouse 2009 Designer, Winner: Most Imaginative, People’s Choice, 2nd Place Grand Prize
• Mattel ® Honored Designer of a custom furniture piece for Barbie’s 50th Anniversary Celebration 2009
• FIDM & Cotton Inc.® Chairing Styles 2008-09: Furniture Design and Manufacturing Competition, 1st Place Winner
• FIDM “Designer of Tomorrow” National Scholarship Winner 2007, FIDM Merit Scholarship Recipient 2009
• Cast Member and Star of HGTV’s docu-design series “Design School” aired Fall 2011
Mark is proficient in manual drafting, AutoCAD 2010, Google SketchUp, Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop and has excellent hand rendering skills. He is enterprising, articulate and is well accomplished as an effective leader. Mark is also experienced as an independent contractor which has instilled excellent time management skills, accountability, and self-reliance. He has enhanced his ability to establish strong professional relationships with individuals of various backgrounds to promote the development of business. Mark’s involvement in the entertainment industry fostered his exceptional public relations skills, knowledge of the production process, and the ability to work in a fast paced and diverse environment.
With a lot of hard work and FIDM’s support, Mark has designed his course for success. Look out design world!